Friday, July 4, 2008

What is wrong with sickness?

Gleeeaaarrrggggh! Having the flu sucks, to state the overwhelmingly obvious.

I've already had to get somebody to cover a shift at work for me this week, meanwhile my boss is pissed off at me for another reason. Staying home instead of working doesn't exactly rectify that situation.

Anyhow, this will be a short post about how the new site is progressing, and what sort of freelance work I've managed to conjure up.

Well, I'm now doing match reports for Hockey WA, which involves going to two games a week, and typing up a brief 200 word report on the matches. So far so good, and despite my limited knowledge on the game of hockey, my employer seems to be happy with them, describing them as great.

During our initial meeting, she mentioned that she'd probably send back the first few week's reports to highlight where I was going wrong, but so far she hasn't. I must be doing okay then.

I've decided to hold back on getting any other work during the break, as the new site will keep my occupied enough.

So far, the biggest hurdle is just getting a site up and running. I have very limited expertise in online publishing, so it's all a bit over my head. I've got a production cycle all set up, and a clear focus on our content. Registering a domain name and buying some hosting space is next. I'll probably end up getting ripped off big time, but it's worth it.

Imagine if I could put 'editor-in-chief, the anti-cookie' on my resume! That'll look absolutely fantastic on any resume, and show that I do have the ambition to one day run a publication.

Anyhow, I just wanted to write a few words on Yahtzee's latest rant.

It seems that the Escapist legal department is out of town....or drunk the past few weeks, as Yahtzee has been given an extremely long leash.

First he blatantly does a bit of 'conflict of interest' by professing his love of Cornetto's during his review of Haze. You know...the brand of ice-cream who advertised with the site in the .au region.

Then he unloads on Control-Alt-Del in a very thinly veiled attack.

If I were at the escapist, I'd be telling Yahtzee to cool his jets a bit. I know that he brings in enormous numbers to the site, but they have to draw the line somewhere.

Anyhow, I'm going to go and lie down now, and hope I don't die at work tomorrow. It'll look bad for the customers.

No comments: